Skip to: Content | Footer | Web Accessibility | Disability Services
disabled person logo

California Department of Motor Vehicles

Change of Address

Welcome to the DMV Change of Address System.

This system will allow you to change your residence or mailing address for your California Driver License, Identification Card, vehicle, or vessel. Temporary mailing addresses are not allowed.

IMPORTANT: For your protection, you may not use the Internet Change of Address System and then renew your California Driver License online. Instead, use the renewal-by-mail option to renew your driver license and enter your change of address on your renewal notice.

You may use the Internet Change of Address System and then renew your vehicle or vessel registration online. However, before using the internet vehicle or vessel registration renewal process, you must confirm that your new address has been updated on the DMV records. This may take approximately three business days. Follow the instructions on the last page of the internet change of address transaction to confirm the change.

A new driver license, identification card or registration card is not issued when changing your address.

NOTE: Changing your address on your driver license and/or identification card does not change your address for vehicles registered in your name. You must complete a separate change of address transaction and enter information from your vehicle registration card(s) to change your address for your vehicle(s).

You may authorize DMV to notify the Secretary of State of a voter change of address if you are already registered to vote. If you move to another county, you must complete and submit a new voter registration application to the Secretary of State. The voter registration application can be completed on-line or downloaded by visiting the Secretary of State website at:

You cannot use this system if you:

  • Do not have a California Driver License and/or California Identification Card
  • Do not have a Social Security Number
  • Have a Commercial Driver License (CDL) issued by California and your residence address is in another state
  • Have a change of address for your disabled person parking placard
  • Have an APO or FPO address
  • Have an address outside of the United States

If any of the above applies to you, please complete a Change of Address (DMV14) form and mail it to the address listed on the form. A change of address does not require an in-person visit to a DMV office.

For more information, please refer to the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions).

Please have the following items before you begin:

  • California Driver License and/or Identification Card
  • Last Issued Vehicle or Vessel Registration Card
  • Social Security Number